Thursday, December 21, 2006

2006: The Soundtrack

HAVE you ever associated a particular song with a particular event, a certain time in your life?
I do quite regularly - something that shouldn't surprise most people given most of these blog titles are lines from songs to start with.
While I seem to be saying this at the end of every year, this year truly was the most memorable. Perhaps like a good wine, I seem to be getting better with age... even showing very occasional signs of ageing!
At any rate, music has played a pretty major role this year, so without further ado, here's my soundtrack for 2006.
Enjoy.

  1. I'm A Believer The Monkees
    Then I saw her face ¦ Now I'm a believer ¦ Not a trace ¦ Of doubt in my mind
    Nice, cheesy little song to open up the innings: and generally a song I'd open up with when singing karaoke in Florence. Was there anyone I would sing this about? Nope...
  2. Disco Inferno The Trammps
    Burn, baby burn ¦ Disco inferno ¦ Bern, baby Bern ¦ Disco inferno
    While on the subject of cheese, this one cranking through the bus speakers every time we went into/through the Swiss capital Bern never failed to amaze. Probably the best reaction came from a girl called Kira, who completely lost it when I stood up after the song to give out info about the city and had a big cheesy grin on my face. Poor thing, it was her first day on the buses too...
  3. Total Eclipse Of The Heart Bonnie Tyler
    Once upon a time I was falling in love ¦ But now I'm only falling apart ¦ There's nothing I can do ¦ A total eclipse of the heart
    Why, oh why would you include this song? It actually came up twice during the year: the latter about a month ago when I saw a guy belt it out at karaoke and everyone joined in. But the first time was during our training in April, when for some reason it became our theme song. Cue lot of shocked faces when we asked for it at the after-training party and starting belting it out ourselves.
  4. Livin' On A Prayer Bon Jovi
    We've got to hold on ¦ Ready or not ¦ You live for the fight when that's all that you've got
    Scene: Red Garter nightclub, Firenze (Florence). Your truly has just finished belting out I'm A Believer when the guy running the show asks if I know how to sing this song. Somehow, improbably, it comes out well with everyone singing along. After that it became a staple of my Florentine experience, one which many others sung along to as well...
  5. Love Generation Bob Sinclair
    Why must our children play in the streets ¦ Broken hearts, and faded dreams
    All our Greek Island guides have a love/hate relationship with this song. Every time it comes on it's almost compulsory for them to get up on the nearest bar/table and dance away. Also memorable because the kid in the film clip reminds me of Bob.
  6. Hey Baby DJ Otzi
    When I saw you walking down the street ¦ I said that's the kind of girl I'd like to meet
    Picture this: you're leaving Munich, the beer capital of the world. Chances are you've spent the night sampling said beers, and have what's known in the industry as a hangover. You're on a coach to St Johann (and Venice) and are looking forward to a peaceful day on the coach. Right? Wrong! Once we crossed the border into Austria I'd play this, partially because DJ Otzi is from St Johann in Tirol, but mostly because that's just me.
  7. Feel Robbie Williams
    Come and hold my hand ¦ I want to contact the living ¦ Not sure I understand ¦ This role I've been given
    You may be wondering why I'm including Robbie Williams in this list. There is actually a good explanation for it though. In Ireland someone lent me a copy of Chris Heath's Feel. It can be an infuriating book to read: it's more a documentary rather than a biography. At any rate, the book itself tells of a man who does well on the stage but is rather less confident off it. Worth a read.
  8. Respect Aretha Franklin
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T ¦ Find out what it means to me
    This was one of those ones that only seems to come about when you're on a coach for the 18th consecutive day, you're going to get severely bullocked by the boss in two days time, and you might just be a touch stir-crazy... Great song though.
  9. The Car Song Cat Empire
    But just right now can't think of anything better to do ¦ Than to sit down at the piano and to write this tune
    Upbeat and funky with just a tinge of regret. I only found out about thsi track by accident in Port Douglas when I'd 5-starred it on the iPod instead of Hello. Never mind: it's a great track.
  10. Sounds Of Then GANGgajang
    Out on the patio we sit ¦ And the humidity we breathe ¦ We watch the lightning crack over canefields ¦ I laugh and think that this is Australia
    While my stint in Port Douglas wasn't all that long (six months), it was nothing short of memorable. It was in Port Douglas that I watched the Socceroos beat Uruguay in a World Cup qualifier last year (every pub on the main drag was full and pumping), while a little later on it was also there I rang in 2006. This song pretty much sums up North Queensland and would inevitably lead to homesickness.
  11. Dancing On The Jetty INXS
    Watch the world argue ¦ Argue with itself ¦ Who's going to teach me ¦ Peace and happiness
    Every time this came on when on the bus I kept thinking it was a quiet track. Not the case - the start of this rock song is actually a whole lot of stringed instruments. Pertinent when you consider I spent a large part of the year watching people.
  12. I Got You (I Feel Good) James Brown
    I feel good ¦ I knew that I would now
    Relevant, not just because it's what I sang to Donkey to gloat at the fact that Queensland had won the State of Origin and I'd won £10 off him, but because of James Brown's death very very late in the year. If there was a second cd I'd include Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine in honour of J20...
  13. Put Your Hands Up For Detroit Fedde Le Grande
    Put your hands up for Detroit
    As you've probably guessed, there's not a great deal of meaning to the lyrics of this dance track. It gains inclusion in this mix because the people at the Generator hostel played it... and played it and played it and played it and played it and played it, and when they were done, they played it and played it and played it and played it...
  14. Long Train Runnin' The Doobie Brothers
    Without love, where would you be now ¦ Without love...
    Nice enough track that reminds me about life on the big blue bus.
  15. Long As I Can See The Light Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Put a candle in the window ¦ 'Cause I feel I've got to move ¦ Though I'm going, going ¦ I'll be coming home soon ¦ As long as I can see the light
    One day, I'm going to get jack of moving, sick of living out of a bag, tired of not knowing where I'm going to be in a month, or even a week.
    One day...

No comments: