Thursday, September 27, 2012


I was pretty close to my Grandma - including in age! She was just a week past 40 when I was born and even sat down and sent Mum and I personal letters each saying how thrilled she was at becoming a grandmother.
Over the next 10 years we developed a very strong bond - as she did with all her grandchildren. I can remember her calling me up having just purchased some new cricket cards; she'd go through all the names, and any I didn't have were straight to me!
At the end of 1990 she celebrated her 50th birthday, still the life of the party. Soon afterwards we moved interstate but knew she'd always be there.
In early 1991 Grandma started complaining about headaches. After many tests it was discovered that she had a brain tumour; one that an operation could not fully remove. After that she was a completely different person - occasionally there'd be flickers of who she once was, but the spark had left her eyes.
In September 1991 Ressie Hannaford passed away in a nursing home in Kilcoy. It was such a sad and unexpected end for such a strong woman, one who will always be remembered by those who knew her well.

In honour of Grandma I'll be riding in the 2013 Ride To Conquer Cancer - but to participate I need to raise over $2500 in donations. This is where you lot come in - any donations, no matter how small, are welcome! Donate here and help our crew fight all kinds of cancer!
Grandma in the 80s.

No comments: