Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 – The Official Soundtrack (so says I)

1. The Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody
Mama… Mama? Mama… Mama. Mama… yoohoo?!?
Just after I arrived back home in late November I caught the end of Channel 9’s The Today Show – something most people generally don’t admit… This was something worthwhile though, as they showed part of a clip taking the Internet by storm. One quick trip to YouTube and a link on my Facebook later and most people were fans as well…

2. Elvis Presley Suspicious Minds
We’re caught in a trap; I can’t walk out; because I love you too much baby…
Rewind to late August/early September and my last Eastern Trekker tour, where for some reason this was a favourite of a couple of people on tour (not looking at anyone in particular, but you people across the ditch know who you are…) One of the unofficial theme songs for the tour.

3. Flight of the Conchords It’s Business Time
You know when I’m down to just my socks what time it is… oh yeah, it’s Business Time…
A song guaranteed to get the punters laughing. On my second Eastern Trekker tour there were two couples sharing a four-bed dorm in Krakow. Legend has it that when one couple went to go on an afternoon bike tour, the other couple (or the other girlfriend to be precise) was busy sorting out clothes when the boyfriend locked the door and started dancing around, singing “it’s business, it’s business time”… Naturally they were talking about the imminent opening of Wall Street for the week… I think?

4. Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow
I’m so 3008; You’re so 2000 and late; I got that boom boom boom; That future boom boom boom…
One of Greece’s overplayed songs for 2009… When heading out to just about any bar in the Greek Islands you were just about guaranteed to hear this, Katy Perry’s Hot and Cold, or anything by that wildly overplayed and overrated Lady GaGa… which brings me to:

5. Lady GaGa Paparazzi
I’m your biggest fan; I’ll follow you until you love me; Papa-paparazzi…
Picture this if you will: it’s early September and a coach full of travellers pulls up at a campsite near the Plitvice National Park in Croatia. Tour guide steps off the coach to go get the keys. Everyone on the coach is aware this far into the tour that said tour guide doesn’t really like Lady GaGa or getting his photo taken. Tour guide gets keys and jumps back onboard coach to find Paparazzi blaring through the speakers, but grits his teeth doesn’t mention it. Someone gets the tour guide’s attention, who turns around to find 39 cameras all pointed at him, going off like nothing else! Well played guys, you got me…

6. Weezer Island In The Sun
On an island in the sun; We’ll be playing and having fun; And it makes me feel so fine I can’t control my brain…
Spend two months travelling around the Greek Islands and tell me if the words aren’t incredibly apt…

7. Eric Prydz Pjanoo

Techno track with no words on this list? Yeah, sure, why not? Having the piano as the main instrument helps…

8. Split Enz History Never Repeats
History never repeats; I tell myself before I go to sleep; Don’t say the words you might regret; I lost before, you know I can’t forget…
Like hell history never repeats!!! I started the touring seasons in 2006 and 2009 on training trips that seemed to drag on a bit; had the highest of highs mixed with the lowest of lows; and made some very close friends. The major difference comes down to being four years older – and hopefully four years wiser!

9. Kings Of Leon Use Somebody
You know that I could use somebody; Someone like you…
In 2006 I tended to disappoint the boss but please the punters; for 2009 it was, for the most part, the reverse. The month of August 2009 is one I would rather forget. It began with the quinella of bed bugs and an overbooked tour that some felt I handled “appallingly”; next up was my first Croatia Sailing tour where half the punters were drunken idiots I had to speak too like naughty schoolchildren every second day. The third week was very enjoyable, cruising back up from Dubrovnik to Split, before the absolute worst tour I’d ever taken. Many on the tour were unhappy I had taken over from another guide in Split at the last minute (some were doing back-to-back tours), while a conscious decision on my behalf to try and calm down a bit backfired for not being as enthusiastic as others. I had thought the tour was going ok, only to read the feedback forms handed to the driver and discover what many had really thought of me. Four days later I got a phone call asking about the feedback from that tour; later that afternoon I got another phone call and found that a friend had died. To this day I am forever grateful that the crew on the next tour were simply awesome, with an old mate behind the wheel to keep me level; not to mention another friend who was a good shoulder to lean on and whose random texts always seemed to come at the right time.

10. Bonnie Tyler Total Eclipse Of The Heart
And I need you now tonight; and I need you more than ever; And if you only hold me tight; We’ll be holding on forever…
Picture this: you’re on a coach heading into Split, Croatia. It’s nearly the end of the tour that kept me in the game for 2009, and this starts up. Cue me and Owen starting up with the first couple of lines, soon to be joined by the seats behind us; then behind them etc etc. A fantastic way to end the coach part of the tour… and somehow, one of the girls right behind me slept through the whole performance!!!

11. Elton John Crocodile Rock
I remember when rock was young; Me and Susie had so much fun…
My last Northern Loop was supposed to be one of those where you reminisce about Northern Loops past and mentally prepare myself for the fact I probably wouldn’t be doing this again. Fat chance – heading up to Paris for the last time I had young Tubs to Stuttgart then met young Laura for the first time. Naturally, we ended up having a bit of a chat on the way.. that lasted till Berlin! In Amsterdam I showed her footage of the Muppets and Elton John singing this song – after that it kinda became a theme song!

12. Frank Sinatra My Way
I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried; I’ve had my fill, my share of losing; And now, as tears subside; I find it all so amusing…
Last time through Greece, karaoke at Fun Pub, Pants makes the suggestion. I get up to sing, Kaeti and Pants grab the sparklers and wave them in tune! A sight I’ll never forget to a song that sums it up. Thanks to everyone; the last four years have been a blast!

No comments: