Thursday, January 08, 2009

TOM!!!

WATCHING VH1's Top 50 film soundtracks (I'm not proud, I'm unemployed) today brought home a very interesting point.
It wasn't how Mental As Anything's Rock and Roll Music managed to make it into the countdown and yet Dave Dobbyn's Slice of Heaven (the alternative New Zealand national anthem) at the time of writing hasn't, but rather how many songs were from Tom Cruise films.
Seriously, think about it. The Beach Boys Kokomo from the movie Cocktail; Kenny Loggins' Danger Zone and Berlin's Take My Breath Away from Top Gun; and even Bruce Springsteen's Secret Garden from Jerry Maguire.
Could explain the success of Cruise's earlier films: they weren't just there to watch the little man act, but to be the first to hear the summer's hottest hits. Think Video Hits with something resembling a plot.
It all becomes clear...

PS Up to number 8 with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in the Grease Megamix (if I hve to tell you the movie you shouldn't be allowed on the internet without parental supervision), and realised no Blues Brothers either. Who makes these charts?!?

PPS Number 7 Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On. Why would you do that? Why?!?

PPPS Number 6 is beloved of females everywhere, Time Of My Life from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. I'll let that go through to the keeper.

PPPPS Number 5 is alive - Eminem's Lose Yourself from the 8-Mile soundtrack. Egads! A recent track that isn't a f&%king ballad!

PPPPPS Wet Wet Wet with their shyte shyte shyte song from Four Weddings and a Funeral: Love Is All Around. The dishes need doing, yet I can't turn away...

PPPPPPS The later version of Lady Marmalade from the Moulin Rouge movie. Yeah, ok.

PPPPPPPS Number 2 is a pile of the same, with Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You, that sappy piece of rubbish from The Bodyguard that sat interminably at the top of ABC's Rage for goodness knows how many weeks when just about anything else would have done.

PPPPPPPPS The moment precisely no one's been waiting for: the number 1 film soundtrack song as voted by VH1. Right. Well. I'd tell you, but I've been working so hard, I'm punching my card and doing the dishes. Footloose. WHERE WERE THE BLUES BROTHERS?!?

No comments: