Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Through The Streets Of Your Town...

GOT back to Brisbane for the first time in two years the other day.
It was never meant to be that long. I was originally due back in November 2006; my little trick in destroying the ticket first laundry load in the UK was probably a sign that date with the plane was never going to happen.
In those two years I worked and travelled right around Europe: starting with mind-numbing speed of the Busabout training trip; two seasons of working with Busabout; trips around Ireland and Britain; the unexpectedness of seven Contiki tours; going to La Tomatina and Oktoberfest; a delayed trip to Romania; and the unexpected but very welcome bonus of a Lapland tour just before I headed home. In that time I travelled around Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Monaco, Liechtenstein, The Vatican City, Romania and Finland; met hundreds of fantastic people and had an absolute blast.
So why get excited about heading back to a city that until recently that's been known as a hick town in my lifetime?
It didn't hit that I was home - or what passes as it - on the plane across from Perth. I'd jumped online early on in order to get a window seat, but poor weather meant I couldn't get my normal view of Lang Park and the Gabba as we made our final approach to the airport.
Nope, it hit me I was home on the 350 bus to the city. Strange, I know.
All started just down from the Rode Road roundabout in the north of the city. When I first started going to uni the roundabout used to be an absolute pain in the rear to get through during peak hour. I'd regularly be just a few kilometres from my stop, but have to wait an extra 30 minutes or so for the bus to get through this ridiculous traffic hazard.
The overpass was supposed to be finished late 1998 from memory but wasn't until well after I left the area. Bastards.
I jumped on the bus on Old Northern Road on a section that goes waaaaay up then waaaaay down and is probably still a favourite with the boys in blue.
Down a little bit further we passed the shopping area at Everton Park. I can remember back in the day we used to get really excited passing there because they had real Slurpees like on the tv ads! From what I can remember there's always been a KFC there - and a "4 foot can't-remember-how-many inches human DYNAMO" called Judy Latham flogging real estate. It's also where Mum works now (and yes, I stopped by on the way back. Ok, it was only because she forgot her keys...).
To the right of this little shopping area is a bigger shopping area called Brookside, where Matt and I used to run around like mad chooks while Mum tried to keep us in line. Further down my route though was a section of road that could nab the unsuspecting. The left lane of South Pine Road just before it veers to the left has a number of dips that have been there pretty much forever; I reckon they aren't game to risk the traffic jams to fix it!
Down a little bit further on the Pickering Street overpass: another intersection that was a major traffic hazard before they built the bridge. That one's been up for a while: early 90s I think?
Go down a little bit further and the Matilda service station on the right marked the turn-off for the army barracks where Dad was posted the first couple of times we lived in Brisbane. I can remember many a function at the Seargent's Mess down the back of the barracks; the flying fox I could never quite hold onto long enough; Matt and I always queuing up for seconds when Maccas came round; and even waiting for my cousin and the three brothers to buy their sweets when Dad gave us a truckload of change. Always had to wait till last: that was the drama of being the oldest.
Going further down Wardell Street we veered to the left near Marist College. We had some family friends live there that we'd known since Townsville (where Matt and I made our world debuts). I can remember playing soccer for TGS there in 1996, although that marked the beginning of the end for one of the few enduring childhood friendships I had.
Onward then to Ashgrove then left onto Waterworks Road. We used to travel down this road a lot when we first moved to Brisbane (The Gap to be precise) in 1986. Explains why I laughed for a good ten minutes when I heard Jimmy Maher years later say "she's got legs like Waterworks Road... all the way to The Gap" on the radio. Had to be there I guess.
Down then towards the city, past the Normanby Hotel. Heard there's been a few dramas down that way recently: a shame really. Picked up there first night out after coming back from first trip around Europe in '05, then had Matt berate me a few days later for not being in a relationship. You get that.
Nearly done then... past Roma Street Station and the Brisbane Transit Centre, where I caught lost of coaches up to Toowoomba when boarding up there - and even one coach to Perth! Obviously it didn't go direct, but it was where that particular journey began.
Last stop Brisbane City: scene of many a drunken night at the Vic or the Cri. When we first moved to Brisbane in 1986 the Queen Street Mall was a bit different. I can remember going with both grandmothers to Tops at the top of the Myer Centre and begging to go on the admittedly poxy dragon coaster just below the roof. That and playing a multitude of arcade games at the Timezone when supposed to be at uni.
I've lived less than half my life in Brisbane. But with memories like these, it'll be home for a while yet.

No comments: